Invitation to Academic Faculty: The 2018 Education Collaborative Annual WorkshopApril 4, 2018
Coding Skills for EveryoneApril 23, 2018
The University of Lusaka,Zambia, a member of the Association of African Universities, is inviting applications from highly qualified persons for the position of Deputy Vice- Chancellor. This role entails maintaining as well as raising the profile of the University at National, Regional and International levels.
- To establish and direct the academic agenda of the University by working directly with management and the respective Schools of the University.
- The Deputy Vice-Chancellor assists the Vice Chancellor in providing leadership for the University’s planning process and takes a leadership role with respect to academic matters in the University.
- The Deputy Vice-Chancellor is the principal provider of academic and administrative leadership for all Schools of the University and all of the support service units within the academic structure that support the academic mission. The Deputy Vice Chancellor will ensure that the University achieves its strategic academic goals, vision and mission.
- This position is about academic leadership ensuring programme excellence and innovation for the on-going and new activities of the University and beyond. As such the Deputy Vice Chancellor will lead academic strategic planning, policy development, curriculum development, quality assurance and review.
- The ideal candidate will have an outstanding record of teaching and research in science and technology and a passion for excellence and academic innovation. In addition he/she will have a profound understanding of the contribution of science and technology to sustainable economic development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees academic policy development and implementation.
- Assists the Vice-Chancellor with the management of the core academic functions of the University
- Participates as a key member of the university’s senior management and collaborates with the executive team to develop the strategy and direction of the University.
- Develops, implements and monitors quality assurance systems that will enable the University to meet and maintain the highest standards in teaching, learning and research.
- Monitors performance of academic and practical programmes, including developing and/ or implementation outcomes assessment systems to meet internal requirements as well as standards of relevant external bodies.
- Supervisor’s senior staff including academic Deans and Directors.
- Promotes innovation in teaching and learning to ensure a rich student-centered environment across and beyond the University.
- Facilitates and promotes inter-disciplinary programmes, studies and research.
- Oversees the recruitment process in order to hire qualified professors, lecturers, instructors, staff and other personnel within the division of academic affairs.
- Oversees and works collaboratively with Deans to develop academic curricula and programmes.
- Leads the development, implementation and monitoring of academic and practical support programmes and services to ensure student success internally and in industry.
- Confers regularly with academic Deans and Directors to plan, coordinate and evaluate instructional facilities to support teaching and learning activities.
- Facilitates community/civic and industry engagement, including development of partnership with business and industry as well all other institutions.
- Undertakes any other responsibilities as assigned by the Vice-Chancellor and other relevant University authorities.Skills
- Ability to formulate and communicate a clear academic and practical vision within a teaching and research setting. Willingness to take on the challenges of laying the academic, practical and research foundations of the University.
- Have a strong commitment to higher education and the ability to lead and inspire the academic and practical affairs team.
- Must exhibit strong leadership skills, extensive administrative experience in higher education administration or directly related to the responsibilities of the position.
- Excellent entrepreneurial skills including proven budgetary, management and team skills in an academic and practical institution, and clear understanding of the social, economic and political implications of decisions made.
- Knowledge of academic and practical programme development, implementation, management and assessment at both the undergraduate and graduate/post graduate levels.
- Proven skills in strategic management and coordination of academic and practical activities, budgets and liaising with academic sponsors or institutions are essential.
- Ability to collaborate and relate effectively with all the University stakeholders including external bodies/ regulatory or government institutions/ senior industry executives and the wider community is a key requirement in order to achieve the University goals and objectives.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with ability to generate required consensus on strategic initiatives among diverse stakeholders including executive management, faculty staff and students and maximise available resources.
- Commitment to the delivery of quality educational support services with effective organisational and management skills including planning, assessment, financial and personnel resources management: ability to demonstrate innovation and creativity in the pursuit of the University‘s academic and practical goals and objectives is a key requirement.
- Must have high visibility and presence on campus and show commitment to a campus community that welcomes and celebrates diversity.
- Must demonstrate personal commitment to excellence with positive attitude.
- An earned Doctorate Degree in a Business, Science, Engineering or Technology discipline from an accredited or recognised University. Must have strong academic and practical credentials. Post Doctorate studies will be an asset.
- Must have a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a senior administrative leadership role (at the level of Dean or above).
- Plus a minimum of ten (10) years profession in teaching, conducting research in Business, Science and Technology.
- Significant experience in Research Administration and Fund Raising will be an added advantage.
If you meet these requirements please send your application and detailed CV to the address below by 30th April, 2018.
University of Lusaka,
Plot No. 37413,
Off Alick Nkhata Road, Mass Media,
P O Box 36711, Lusaka, Zambia
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.